Thursday, March 31, 2011

Creativity and New Media


I have done or been in a few YouTube videos before.  I am also a regular user of Facebook, Twitter, Digg, and a few more forms of new media.  However, I used this opportunity to create a Second Life account.  I have heard about second life, but have never experienced or seen it in action. 

I created my avatar, but it doesn’t really look like me.  Maybe later I will customize it further and change my look.  Upon starting, you go through a welcome and instructional screen. 



I decided the stress of my job and busy week in college warranted a visit to a nice relaxing place.  I went to London Hyde Park in London and it was actually relaxing.  I loved the scenery and the music was awesome.



I also met a few other Second Life users, some of whom were dancing.  I would have joined them, but I need some practice since they were very good.  One dancer even collapsed after some rigorous moves. 



I am developing an appreciation for second life and the nature of the great work that was put into the environment to make it look as real as possible.  Since I’m in London, I will take a trip to the city center tonight.  

3 comments:

  1. I've used the PlayStation version of second life. I forgot what it's called, it's pretty cool, and sad at the same time because people spend hours on these things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still use it? I signed up the week that we had the assignment and haven't been back. That being said, the week we were supposed to have researched SL, I spent WAY more time logged on than was necessary to get a basic picture. I can (sort of) see how people dedicate massive amounts of time to SL.
    -Drew

    ReplyDelete